An Integrated Approach to Saving Limbs
The SL2 Program at St. Luke’s Medical Center and Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital offers a comprehensive, integrated approach to preserving limbs, allowing patients to heal and restore limb function. This highly effective approach to limb preservation utilizes the expertise of wound-certified physicians, vascular surgeons, endovascular physicians and podiatrists.
All patients presenting with lower limb ulcers receive a non-invasive vascular assessment. Patients who are at risk of losing a limb are rapidly and efficiently triaged to vascular surgeons and endovascular physicians. The expertise of the team of physicians and staff, coupled with the latest technology, provide patients with the latest revascularization treatments and procedures to restore function and significantly reduces the risk of amputation.
Our team approach includes:
- Pre-authorization for insurance coverage.
- Frequent outpatient clinic visits (weekly or more often, determined by the severity of each case).
- In-house DME company for patients’ orthotics and equipment needs.
- Weekly patient progress reports back to the referring physician.
- Hyperbaric medicine specialists.
- Significant reduction in the rates of amputation in patients with Diabetes, which is 10 times higher than those without Diabetes.
- Patient education that engages patients to become active participants in proper foot care and prevention.
“Prior to my mother coming to St. Luke’s Wound Center, she had been battling this wound on her right leg for six years. My mother had seen several doctors, and had different treatments for years with no success. That is, until a friend referred me to one of your wound specialists, Dr. Sam Nwafor. Several tests and an MRI were carried out. They explained to me the treatment options available to save my mother’s leg. Above all, they treated her with dignity, respect and patience. Thank you St. Luke’s Wound Center and your amazing people.”
—Daughter of Wound Center Patient
For more information, please visit SL2program.com.